Thursday, November 19, 2009

Puppy Chow


Autumn and Prairie with puppy chow we made last week in the bowl that Laura gave us for Christmas 2006


I don't recall ever having puppy chow growing up. Maybe I did at a party or something, but it isn't something that my family ever made. So the first time I recall having puppy chow is from Laura. For Christmas in 2006 Laura made a number of batches of puppy chow for Christmas and bought these cute bowls from the dollar store to put the puppy chow in.

Now I had had a baby earlier that year, and had been working really hard to lose some of my baby weight, I had just recently started to actually lose some of that weight. Well I got that puppy chow for Christmas, and we drove to Texas, and let me say I most definitely chowed down on that puppy chow and then called her while I was in Texas to get the recipe to make another batch. I ate soooo much puppy chow that 3 weeks after Christmas I had gained all that weight back .... but it was Laura's puppy chow, sooo worth it!

Anyway I wanted to post the recipe as I remember it from Laura, with Laura's tips on making the best puppy chow.

8 to 9 cups of corn chex (I don't think Laura cared if it was brand name or not, but it had to be corn chex) in a large bowl

melt in a pan:
4 TBS. of butter
1/2 cup of peanut butter ( I always use all natural peanut butter because that is all we have on hand, but Laura always thought that was an abomination when I did that)
1 cup of chocolate chips (here is the true Laura secret she would do half semi-sweet chips and half milk chocolate chips)

when the mixture is smooth and melted add 1tsp. of vanilla then pour mixture over the corn chex, then stir until all the corn chex is coated. Then place the corn chex in a large ziploc bag or use a bowl that has a tight fitting lid, then add 1.5 to 2 cups of powdered sugar and shake until all the corn chex are evenly coated.

Laura thanks so much for teaching me how to make puppy chow, I love it and so do my girls.



Prairie being literal about it being puppy chow (she is pretending to be a dog and refused to use her hands to eat it, she was "lapping" it up)


No comments:

Post a Comment