Monday, November 16, 2009

The Face

Who started pulling "the face" in our family? I have no idea, but this seems to have become a tradition of sorts. Look through any of our family blogs or photo albums and sooner or later you will come across a picture of one of us that looks very ... interesting.

Perhaps this originated during a visit to Grandma Sullivan in New Mexico. I remember one evening Grandma laughing out loud as she watched the kids push and pull my face into a variety of distorted shapes (all improvements on my natural appearance, I might add!).

Soon "the face" became a way to greet one another, or an attempt to make someone laugh or smile, or even a subtle way of saying, "I love you." It was almost a way of taking someone's emotional temperature to see if he or she was doing okay. When I pulled "the face" and didn't receive it in return, I could be pretty certain that something wasn't quite right.

Here am I in training, being instructed by the master, Laura. She appears to be laughing at my effort, knowing I can never reach her level.


And here is Laura acting goofy. It isn't exactly "the face" but is still pretty funny.

And here is a memorable triple whammy!

Most of the time, "the face" makes me laugh. It makes me feel good. I have very good memories of "the face."

So whenever we come together as a family, I expect us to continue this tradition! A hearty laugh is good medicine for what ails you.





No comments:

Post a Comment