Friday, October 30, 2009

Dinoroar

As I think back on some of the toys Laura enjoyed, one of her favorites was a Fisher-Price Dinoroar. This was a brightly colored stuffed dinosaur about ten inches long that would "roar" for as long as 4-5 seconds (a high pitched sound that was nearly more of a squeal or whine than a deep roar, starting very high and then gradually tapering off to a lower and softer tone) when you squeezed and then released the body. The sound was made by a mechanism sewn inside the body; there were no batteries to wear out or change.


Laura loved her Dinoroar and would sleep with it at night. When I would go in to tell Laura goodnight she would always elicit a roar - and would sometimes let me do so, too. I don't remember what Laura named this toy. But I think she would sometimes let the Dinoroar be her voice when she was feeling frustrated and wanted to roar herself. I can still see Laura hugging this toy and smiling as it roared at her.

When Laura went to school I think she took Dinoroar with her, so I didn't see it again. Perhaps she or Mom has it boxed up somewhere. But one year I found a Dinoroar at a thrift store. It was well worn and a little dirty, but the roar worked perfectly. I took this toy home, cleaned it up the best I could, and wrapped it to give to Laura as a Christmas present.

The look on Laura's face when she opened her gift was a mixture of astonishment and glee. And she quickly squeezed the Dinoroar so she could hear the familiar - and comforting - roar from her youth.

Somewhere lurk two Dinoroars that once belonged to Laura. If I ever unearth them, they will occupy a place of honor in our home as a reminder of some happy times with Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment