Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Yahtzee!

One of my favorite activities with Laura was playing Yahtzee. Why was this such a favorite activity? Certainly not because I would win, because that didn't happen very often. Laura was indeed, as Brenda so humorously pointed out at the memorial service, the Yahtzee champion of the world (at least of our world)! I cannot count the number of times Laura has looked me directly in the eyes warning me what she is about to do, and then would roll a Yahtzee or a large straight. "You've gotta have the mo-jo," she would say.


Laura and I were a good match for Yahtzee because of our styles. We both played very quickly -- and could barely stand playing with others who took their sweet time at their turns. And we played with little conversation. "It's Yahtzee, not talk-sy," I would often tell Laura. Our tradition when I inevitably lost was that I had to kiss Laura's foot. She would lift her chin and look to the ceiling while proferring her foot. I had to kneel down and touch my lips to her toes. I believe Laura enjoyed this most of all. Needless to say, when I did win there was no reciprocation!

Sometimes when Laura was having a "bad day" at home, playing Yahtzee would help lighten her mood. I know Laura looked forward to a game of Yahtzee when she was in the hospital. You really were the champion, Laura. How I miss you.

Poopa

No comments:

Post a Comment