Saturday, January 16, 2010

Standing Tall

Laura was "vertically challenged" and I think this always bothered her. She did NOT enjoy being the shortest child in the family, though she could always find something humorous to say about it. I believe Laura wanted to "stand tall" among her friends and family.

I tried to point out to Laura some advantages of her diminuitive stature (like the availability and price of clothing), but she could always counter with a downside (like having her view of the screen blocked by a taller person at the theater). When Laura got her driver's license, the car we had at the time did not have a seat that would adjust higher or lower. Because the seat sat fairly low to the floor, Laura suffered the indignity of needing to sit on a pillow to see over the dash!

I'm a firm believer that good things often come in small packages. As I often told Laura when she would express concern about being short, "In this family we measure height only from the eyebrows up." Laura, of course, was VERY intelligent and this was my way of complimenting her and reminding her of what really matters. And when I would utter this Poopa-ism I could usually coax a smile from Laura.

How does one stand tall? By impacting the lives of others for good. In this regard, I think I have some work to do to catch up with Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment